happiness in work

To me, Andy Goldsworthy epitomizes the ultimate success of happiness. So often people talk about what job they plan to pursue based on the income and assume gratification will accompany wealth. Especially now, contemplating what area I want to study in college and goals I have following my education, the movie Rivers and Tides is such an encouragement to see someone actually live out a dream. Although his art may seem pointless to numerous people, the opportunity to work in his passion every day is something countless others lack. I often fear I will end up working in an office building at a computer all day long and never accomplish my dreams of working for National Geographic or living in Africa for an extended medical mission trip. Goldsworthy, however, expresses himself through fleeting creations in nature. Even though his work is often destroyed by the wind or water or other elements, the moment of creation and developing a masterpiece instigates a thrilling fulfillment which, to me, encompasses happiness.

“Ideas must be put to the test. That's why we make things, otherwise they would be no more than ideas. There is often a huge difference between an idea and its realization.”

“My sculpture can last for days or a few seconds — what is important to me is the experience of making. I leave all my work outside and often return to watch it decay.”

“As you grow older you realize that art has an enormous effect. It's frightening sometimes to think of the effect that we can have.”

“Beauty is what sustains things, although beauty is underwritten by pain and fear.”

“Art is not a career – it's a life.”

“Effort…to make something look effortless.”

“The real work is change.”




No comments:

Post a Comment